Work with us
PPF is a vibrant organization that fosters innovative thinking and a passion for public policy. We are always interested in hearing from talented people who want to join the team. PPF provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to age, ancestry, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status, gender identity, gender expression, record of offences, sex, and/or sexual orientation.
Term: Full-Time Permanent
Reports to: Senior Director, Events & Corporate Services
Starting Salary Range: $51,949 – $55,000
Location: Ottawa (Hybrid)
Start Date: November 2023
The Public Policy Forum (PPF) is a leading non-profit, non-partisan charitable organization dedicated to finding innovative solutions to Canada’s most pressing challenges through research and dialogue among Canada’s leaders.
The Event Specialist is exceptional at organizing the coordination of virtual, in-person and hybrid roundtables, summits, conferences, and meetings. You bring solid technical production and event coordination experience with a passion for creating flawless and innovative events. The purpose of this role is to produce thought-provoking and impactful events that are tied to PPF’s objectives. This role requires the ability to coordinate multiple events concurrently, both in planning, execution and post event stages. This position requires the demonstration of creative execution combined with exemplary team player behaviours.
This opportunity is for you if you are a highly motivated planner, logistics driven, curious to enhance your event planning skills and are excited about joining a fun team with unparalleled culture. We offer highly flexible working arrangements, career growth and development opportunities, best-in-class benefits and RRSP matching.
PPF has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. The Event Specialist is expected to attend in-person events requiring travel during the work day and after normal work hours.
The position reports directly to the Senior Director, Events & Corporate Services, which sits within the Strategic Engagement team. The Event Specialist works closely with the Media team, the Strategic Engagement team, the Policy Team and other teams, as required.
PPF provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to age, ancestry, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status, gender identity, gender expression, record of offences, sex, and/or sexual orientation.
Event Coordination & Logistics: 90%
- Coordinating virtual, in-person and hybrid events
- Managing and utilizing virtual event platforms, including liaising with platform vendors and tech support to ensure flawless and successful delivery
- Organizing event logistics (room reservations, catering, audio-visual)
- Tracking event invitations, registrations and payments via multiple platforms including Swoogo and Zoom
- Ensuring event related expenditures are within budget and flagging any variances to the relevant manager or policy lead
- Reviewing invoices, negotiating contractual agreements for venues, AV etc. and flagging issues or variances to the Senior Director, Events & Corporate Services
- Organizing travel arrangements for staff, participants and speakers
- Updating event pages on the website via WordPress
- In collaborations with the Media team, coordinating participant kits, nametags and other event collateral as required
- Leading on-site event set-up and tear-down
- Accurate and timely data entry into PPF’s membership database/CRM and online event platforms
- Close collaboration with the finance team in their maintenance and reconciliation of event payments (as required)
- Supporting the Senior Director, Events & Corporate Services as required
- Post-secondary education or certificate in event management
- Minimum 1-2 years relevant experience
- Demonstrated experience in virtual event production and in-person and hybrid events
- Experience with virtual event platforms
- Recent experience in event logistics, coordination and knowledge of up-to-date best practices
- Experience with MS Office 365, Mailchimp, WordPress, Zoom, Teams
- Experience with Wicket is an asset
- Experience in the operation and maintenance of databases and spreadsheets, including inputting or updating records.
- Exemplary organization skills, time-management and communications skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English and French
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with guests and participants at PPF events
- Ability to manage conflicting priorities and multiple priorities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and exemplary team player
- Initiative, reliability and good judgment
- Motivated and enthusiastic
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
In our early years, inclusion entailed gathering government, business, labour and civil society in the same room. Today, the proposition is far more ambitious. As much as possible, we aim to incorporate a broader cross-section of participants and contributors – reflecting factors such as identity and geography – in our research, convening and learning processes.
PPF recognizes the existence of systemic racism in Canada. We are firmly committed to Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples and social justice for all communities. We subscribe to the 50-30 Challenge and seek to live our core belief that good policy makes for a better Canada.
We recognize there is more progress to be made and that good policy outcomes for everyone mark the ultimate measure of a successful society. As Canada’s think tank about tomorrow, we take our responsibility seriously to use our work to illuminate inclusive and diverse policy pathways.
Please send your CV and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodations will be provided at all stages of the hiring process. We ask applicants to make their needs known in advance.