Work with us
PPF is a vibrant organization that fosters innovative thinking and a passion for public policy. We are always interested in hearing from talented people who want to join the team. PPF provides equal opportunity to all employees and applicants without regard to age, ancestry, race, citizenship, ethnic origin, place of origin, creed, disability, family status, marital status, gender identity, gender expression, record of offences, sex, and/or sexual orientation.
The Public Policy Forum is seeking an exceptional program lead to help build its learning portfolio in support of the organization’s mission and mandate to build better governments in Canada. Reporting to the Executive Director of the PPF Academy and the Action Canada Fellowship, the Program Lead will support the development and program delivery of high-quality learning offerings and will contribute, while working closely with the Executive Director of the PPF Academy, the Program Coordinator and PPF staff as required, to program development, marketing and partnership development.
ABOUT PUBLIC POLICY FORUM
Public Policy Forum [“PPF”] works with all levels of government and the public service, the private sector, labour, post-secondary institutions, NGOs and Indigenous groups to improve policy outcomes for Canadians. As a non-partisan, member-based organization, we work from “inclusion to conclusion,” by convening discussions on fundamental policy issues with diverse groups of relevant stakeholders (inclusion) and by identifying new implementable policy options (conclusion). For more than 35 years, PPF has promoted civil and productive dialogue among stakeholders, contributing to meaningful change that builds a better Canada.
PPF has earned an enviable reputation as a trusted, independent and non-partisan catalyst in the public policy supply chain. We are dedicated to research and convening around important public policy issues, sharing leadership lessons through our Academy and celebrating Canadians who make major contributions to public service, public leadership and public policy. Our research programs provide a pragmatic base to inform decisions of broad importance to Canada and Canadians by bringing people together in serious, focused exploration of the best ways forward. PPF helps ensure public policy in this country is dynamic, coordinated and responsive to future challenges and opportunities. Thus, our brand promise: Good Policy. Better Canada.
The Public Policy Forum’s approach is called Inclusion to Conclusion. Inclusion involves engaging diverse perspectives around our tables and within our ranks in order to arrive at the best policy conclusions.
The PPF Academy Program Lead works collaboratively with PPF staff, management and PPF Fellows, as well as external partners and research collaborators, to deliver multiple programs and projects at a consistently high level, on time and according to budget. The Program Lead builds and develops professional relationships with external stakeholders, including PPF members, funding partners, experts, academics and others to carry out project deliverables. This position will have the opportunity to lead work on a varied portfolio of exciting projects that fulfill PPF’s strategic objectives and may provide the opportunity to explore new areas of policy.
This position may require travel from time to time. Candidates must be available and willing to travel within Canada.
Project Management (40%)
Responsible for overall program management and coordination, including budget management and program execution; including:
- Convene and coordinate advisors, consultants and stakeholders to advise on curriculum content, program design and teaching methodology.
- Manage program reporting and evaluation activities.
- Coordinate contracts and logistics for visiting faculty and external consultants.
- Coordinate and manage deliverables and responsibilities of program support staff and contractors.
Learning and Policy Program Development and Implementation (20%)
- In consultation with the PPF Academy ED, develop program curriculum, including agendas, teaching scripts and presentations.
- Plan program activities, including field visits, study tours and other events.
- Assist with some teaching and facilitation, including workshops, small breakout room discussions or event delivery.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with external project and program partners (funders, researchers, advisory council etc.) to develop and deliver program.
- Develop and maintain thorough and current knowledge of trends and dynamics, as well as established and emerging experts, decision makers and influencers in various sectors.
The Program Lead is responsible for overall program communications, publications and promotion; including:
- Develop and coordinate communication and marketing efforts for PPF Academy programs in collaboration with the PPF Media & Comms team and external program partners.
Operations & Administration (20 %)
- Develop and manage program budgets and workplans.
- Arrange language translation/interpretation support services for program materials and events, as required.
- Develop and oversee scheduling for programs, study tours, and other events.
- Assist with writing proposals and applications.
- Work effectively with and delegate tasks to Program Coordinator as appropriate.
- Work with the PPF Academy ED and PPF Academy team to develop the Academy’s objectives and key results on a quarterly and annual basis.
- Other duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Post-secondary education in a relevant discipline, and at least three years of relevant work experience.
- Experience in developing a program curriculum, program design and program management.
- Experience and skill in project management, from conception through execution and conclusion.
- Knowledge of public service, public administration and political science.
- Financial management and budgeting for a nonprofit organization.
- Public speaking experience and skills.
KEY SKILLS & ATTRIBUTES
- Strong communication skills, including writing skills and ability to prepare and edit documents to a high standard.
- Strong analytical skills: ability to identify relevant materials and main trends.
- High level of relevant computer literacy.
- Facilitation skills: comfort and ease facilitating groups (e.g. workshops, breakout room discussions, event delivery).
- Proficiency in Canada’s official languages is strongly desired.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Confidence in cultivating and managing relationships with external partners.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with VIPs and participants at PPF events and programs.
- Autonomy: ability to anticipate problems and develop solutions with minimal direction.
- Initiative, reliability and good judgement.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- In our early years, inclusion entailed gathering government, business, labour and civil society in the same room. Today, the proposition is far more ambitious. As much as possible, we aim to incorporate a broader cross-section of participants and contributors – reflecting factors such as identity and geography – in our research, convening and learning processes.
- PPF recognizes the existence of systemic racism in Canada. We are firmly committed to Reconciliation with Indigenous Peoples and social justice for all communities. We subscribe to the 50-30 Challenge and seek to live our core belief that good policy makes for a better Canada.
- We recognize there is more progress to be made and that good policy outcomes for everyone mark the ultimate measure of a successful society. As Canada’s think tank about tomorrow, we take our responsibility seriously to use our work to illuminate inclusive and diverse policy pathways.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this opportunity. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Accommodations will be provided at all stages of the hiring process. We ask applicants to make their needs known in advance.
To apply for this position, please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com.