Public Policy Leadership Program
Offered jointly by the Public Policy Forum (PPF) and the Telfer School of Management, the Public Policy Leadership Program (PPLP) is for practicing policy professionals interested in expanding their capacity to navigate the complexities of contemporary government policy development and provide breakthrough policy responses using team leadership, engagement and collaboration. Telfer and PPF have joined forces and leveraged our individual strengths to enhance your understanding of current and emerging policy challenges while developing the leadership skills needed to be effective in an increasingly complex government system.
This program is one-of-a-kind, designed to address an identified gap in learning opportunities for the policy community, with our unique cross-disciplinary approach, integrating personal leadership development with an advanced and applied exploration of domestic and global policy issues. Graduates of this program will form a stronger network of policy leaders that can address the complex issues facing modern governments.
This eight-day program features two Ottawa-based three-day in-class learning sessions, supplemented by a two-day field visit and real-time peer coaching. Throughout the program you will have time to collaborate with other participants on a public policy leadership challenge that you bring to the program. Invited public policy leaders, Public Policy Forum staff and Fellows, and Telfer faculty will bridge theory and practice, providing practical options to follow in advancing current challenges.
We encourage you to download the prospectus for full program details and the eight-day agenda.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Public policy professionals in supervisory or management roles (EX minus 1 & EX-1 or equivalent) who are mid-career and looking to grow and refine your leadership skills to step up to the next level of your career path. You are intending to deepen your understanding of how to lead groups and teams in a complex public policy environment, while navigating the policy development process.
We welcome participants from all levels of government: federal, provincial and municipal.
It is a privilege to be part of this program. I really enjoyed the presentations/speeches of the guest speakers and the group discussions. I particularly appreciate the organization of the bright spot field visit. It simulated more thoughtful considerations when developing complex social policies. I would strongly recommend this program to individuals who are inspired to become an influential public policy leader. Eliza (Quan) Wu, Canada Border Services Agency
The Public Policy Leadership Program is designed to specifically address the needs and questions of current and emerging public policy leaders. Our team is focused on working with you to explore following themes:
- Policy Futures: Taking a strategic look at emergent policy issues in the ever-changing context of government goals, advancements in technology, communications, and relations with the public.
- Crafting Policy in the Face of Complexity: Navigating different types of policy development, and developing judgment and resilience.
- Stakeholder Relationships: Knowing when, how, and why to engage stakeholders, and exploring the spectrum of engagement possibilities, from consultation to collaboration, and effective leadership in the context of complex, multi-stakeholder environments.
- Personal Leadership Effectiveness: Identifying strengths and improving skills, which are central to policy leadership, including communication, working with Ministers and their teams, and advancing the policy agenda through effective leadership of departmental, interdepartmental and cross-functional teams.
- Emotional Intelligence: Developing a stronger understanding of who you are as a leader, your leadership styles and strengths, and engaging in a process of self-reflection and personal growth.
Next program dates
Module 1: April 6-8, 2020
Module 2: May 20-21, 2020
Module 3: June 17-19, 2020
Contact: Jonathan Perron-Clow